With the right messaging and targeting, generating leads for your business, can be relatively easy. But generating leads does not equal sales – at least not yet!
So what is the best way to convert your new business leads into paying clients?
Here are some of our best tips to convert leads into sales.
Table of contents
- Best strategy to convert leads into sales
- 1. Use email marketing to follow up with leads
- 2. Create free educational content
- 3. Build trust with social media
- 4. Host online or in-person events
- 5. Create a video sales letter
- 6. Create video content for YouTube & follow up emails
- 7. Find your “hot leads” and reach out to them
- 8. Use call to actions
- 9. Have a sense of urgency
- 10. Track your results
- 11. Be patient and reap the rewards
Best strategy to convert leads into sales
The best strategy to convert leads into sales and clients involves regular follow up with leads in ways that build trust. This is the best way to get leads to convert into sales.
If you’d like to learn how to do this in more detail, be sure to watch my free training video here.
This video explains in detail to both get leads (using free, automated & profitable strategies) and then how to convert leads into sales appointments and clients (on autopilot!)
1. Use email marketing to follow up with leads
Email marketing is still, without a doubt, one of the most powerful ways to convert your leads into clients. However, a lot of people use email marketing the wrong way.
How NOT to use email marketing
- Only email your leads once
- Email your leads once a quarter or (even worse) a few times a year
- Only using email to sell to your leads all the time
- Creating emails that look like boring company newsletters
How to use email marketing the RIGHT way
- Follow up with your leads via email at least once a month (preferably more) with your latest and best content
- Sell to your leads regularly, but only after you’ve provided a lot more free value and educational content first. A good rule of thumb is for every 3 or 4 emails you send out with free educational content you can send 1 email out to sell to them.
- Send an email from a personal work email address rather than a generic email@example.com email address (for example, firstname.lastname@example.org is what we use at Skyline Social!)
- Avoid emails with fancy templates. Keep your email simple (make it look like an email that you would send to a friend)
- Use email software to track results and automate as much as you can (we use and highly recommend Kartra)
The important part to remember with email marketing is that it’s all about following up, and not just following up to say “hey, do you remember me? This is what I do….”, it’s about following up with your leads to help them and provide value first, then sell to them later.
Here’s an example of an email broadcast template you could send to leads:
2. Create free educational content
By creating free education content that provides value to your target audience you now have a reason to follow up with your leads through email marketing without being annoying.
The great thing about creating content is that you can use it to sell to your leads without really selling to them.
Creating content that’s incredibly useful and helpful also positions yourself as an expert in what you do, and it proves to your prospects that you know what you’re talking about.
Here are some examples of free educational content you can create:
- Social media posts
However, it’s important not to overwork yourself. Pick only 1 or 2 channels to start creating educational content on.
At Skyline Social, we focus on video and article content. We’ve found that type of content converts best (for us and our clients).
Top tip: The content you create not only helps you with building trust, but it also helps you rank higher on Google. There are so many benefits to creating content, so it’s crucial that this is an ongoing part of your marketing strategy.
3. Build trust with social media
By now you probably know that social media is a gold-mine when it comes to generating leads. But did you know you can also use social media to convert leads into sales?
Some ways you can use social media to build trust and convert more leads into sales includes:
- Connecting to potential clients on social media (e.g. LinkedIn or Twitter)
- Messaging and having real human conversations with prospects on social media
- Posting social media updates every so often to stay top of mind
- Retargeting users on social media
When using social media, it’s also important to focus on the activities that get the best results.
In our experience, we’ve found posting social media updates can help a little bit, but the results are painfully slow.
Organic social media reach is very low these days on most social media channels (excluding YouTube and TikTok which are still great for organic reach).
Instead, we’ve found the best way to use social media to convert leads into clients would be to focus on social media retargeting ads.
By uploading a list of your leads into Facebook, LinkedIn, etc., you can retarget your existing leads, with helpful educational content that builds trust.
4. Host online or in-person events
This strategy requires a lot of work, but it is a very powerful way to build trust with your leads.
When I was living in London, I would speak at a live event every month talking about lead generation. It was an excellent way to build authority, trust, likability, and to convert leads into sales.
Now that I live in the USA and work with clients all over the world, instead of speaking at live in-person events locally, I started to host online webinars – which got similar results but requires much less time to run.
Later I split tested webinars with automated video sales letters and discovered a video sales letter can get even better results! (see below why)
5. Create a video sales letter
A video sales letter is like having a sales team working for you 24/7. A VSL can build trust with leads and convert leads into sales appointments.
An effective VSL will:
- Explain a problem your potential clients have (to show you understand them)
- Show possible solutions to that problem (which is what your prospect has tried in the past)
- Educate leads on why your solution is MUCH better than those other solutions (so they want to work with you)
- A call to action to learn more and go to the next step in your sales process
To learn more about creating a VSL, see ‘Step 2’ of my free training here.
6. Create video content for YouTube & follow up emails
One of the biggest reasons a lead will buy from you is because they trust and like you. So if you’re looking to dramatically increase how quickly someone trusts and likes you, there’s nothing quite like creating video content.
I recommend creating video content that answers questions your potential clients are asking and then upload it on YouTube for generating YouTube leads.
Then email your leads the new educational video content in your follow up emails to leads.
The more questions you answer from your potential clients, the more likely they will be to book a sales appointment with your sales team and become a new client.
7. Find your “hot leads” and reach out to them
As you start to generate leads, follow up with them through email marketing, webinars, events and so on – you’ll notice some are a lot more engaged than others.
The leads that are very engaged with you (they open every email, click on every link, sign up to all your webinars, etc.) are the ones we call your “hot leads”.
Your email marketing software will usually be able to tell you who these people are.
However, for one reason or another (usually because they’re too busy), your “hot leads” might not have actually made the decision to reach out to you in order to work with you yet.
All you then need to do is pick up the phone and contact them.
Or, if you want to really stand out, record a quick personalized video (using Descript) explaining how you can help them and send it to them via email.
8. Use call to actions
This one might sound obvious, but many people miss it. It’s important to have call to actions to the next step of your sales process if you want leads to convert into clients.
Here are some places you can use a call to action:
- Follow up emails
- Social media
Make the call to action VERY clear and explain to potential customers what happens next when they click on it.
For example, if the next step in your sales process is to buy something then ask for the sale!
Or, if the next step in your sales process is to book a call with a sales team member, then tell have a big button telling leads to schedule a phone call.
9. Have a sense of urgency
If leads are on the fence with working with you, a special offer combined with urgency (expiring soon or limited time only) will almost always get leads to convert into sales.
However, it’s important that you don’t use “Fake scarcity”. These are made up special offers where you say something is expiring soon, but it doesn’t really ever expire.
If you do this, it can cause more harm than good.
But real and honest special offers every so often with some kind of countdown timer can definitely increase your conversion rates and help more leads convert into customers.
10. Track your results
To improve your lead conversion rates, it’s important you track your conversions at every point in your marketing and sales process. That way, you can see what’s working and what isn’t.
Top level tracking
The first thing you want to track is your top-level marketing performance.
In general this is:
- The total amount of people you reach
- The total amount of leads you generate
- The total amount of enquiries you get
- The total amount of sales you win
This may change from business to business but the above should give you a guideline to use for your own business for your lead generation and lead conversion.
Overall, you want to look at these stats and see how you can improve them. If you make changes to your website, your branding, your text, images, etc. – how does this affect your stats? Will it be higher or lower?
By tracking your results at different stages you’ll be able to see ways you can improve and then focus your attention on that.
11. Be patient and reap the rewards
In your business, you need to follow up with your leads until they are ready, willing and able to buy.
Ready = This is the right time for them in their business and life
Willing = They trust you enough to buy from you
Able = They have the money necessary to make a purchase
With the right targeting on social media, you can increase the chances you find people who are ready (it’s the right time) and able (they have the money) to work with you. But you can’t force them to be willing (trust and like you enough).
Social media lead generation isn’t easy, otherwise everyone would be doing it. But if you do the work and you’re patient, you can reap the rewards sooner than later.
By following up with your leads through multiple touch points (email, content, social media, video, etc.), you can increase the chances your leads will trust and want to work with you NOW rather than later.
As a quick example, for us, we get clients who have been on our email list for a few weeks, some months and some even years before they convert into clients. Why? Some trust us quicker than others.
For our clients, it’s the same thing.
So be patient. And in the meantime, focus on ways you can build more trust by following the advice, strategies, tips and tactics in the methods above.
To learn how you can get 10, 15, 30 or more predictable sales appointments each month in your business, check out our free training here.